Monday, April 6, 2020

#A-TO-Z-CHALLENGE – LETTER “C” AND “D” - CATS!!!! AND A DOG



I'm cheating here. I should have posted letter “C” on Friday, but I had a little run-in with the SSA and then the IRS over this whole “incentive check” nonsense, and after sitting on hold, listening to horrible hold music and being hung up on by two different alphabet agencies in these here Untied (sic) States, I was in no mood to write or think about #a-to-z-challenge. Quarantining is bad enough and then, trying to deal with our Federal Gubmint for ANYTHING, just raises my blood pressure. But, I REALLY want to finish this challenge this year AND I digress.

At last count, in my household, we have four cats, one dog and three birds. The cats don't really seem to know what the birds are, as the cats weren't raised by their mothers and never learned to hunt. They do like to watch them fly around in their cages. We have two finches and a cockatiel. The finches finch around, making that little beeping noise, and the cockatiel has a variety of sounds that she lets loose on the regular. It sounds like a zoo in here. The cats are more likely to eat the birdseed that I scatter on the floor, when I'm feeding the birds, for some reason.


Ripley, wallowing on my bed, after I spent twenty minutes making it. 

When we first brought the two kittens in the house, we already had Ripley, our husky-hound mix. Two things about Ripley, besides the fact that he's an absolute sweetheart of a dog and is really easy with the kittens. First, being part husky, he loves to run, and if there's an open door anywhere in the house, he will run. RUN and will not come back until he's good and ready. This wouldn't be a problem, except someone put some buckshot in him once. He came limping home. We got him healed up, and we thought that would cure him, but nope. He still loves to run. Luckily, we're good at keeping him fenced up. The other thing is, he yodels.

I believe I read somewhere that dogs are only capable of ten types of sounds. Well, you sure wouldn't know it by Ripley. He'll be outside on his lead, yodeling, in just about every key. He's doing dog karaoke and hollering to his imaginary friends out there in the forest that abuts our land. It's hilarious.


Eddie was barely two months old when we brought him home, as a foster. We ended up keeping him. We're kinda like the "Hotel California". You can come here, but you never leave. 

Anyway, when we first introduced each kitten to Ripley, they all had pretty much the same reaction. Puff up, dance sideways, and hiss. I don't know about you all, but tiny kittens getting all fierce is the funniest thing ever. Poor Eddie, or Eddifer, as I call him, when I'm not calling him “son”; he was so brand-new when we brought him home – he was a foster – that he couldn't figure out how to un-puff himself. He danced backward into his little kitty house and circled around about three times, before he got it all figured out. For about two weeks, he was scared of Ripley. Of all my cats, he is the least adventurous and the one most likely to be found under the bed at the introduction of ANYTHING new, including toys.

Glenn Wallace – named by my husband, after my late father – is the smartest and most adventurous, and he loves any new-fangled thing that comes his way. We got this ridiculous toy that is battery-operated, and it writhes around on the floor and sparkles and snaps, and Glenn loves it! He also loves the Chitter toy, that makes a chittering sound when played with, unlike Eddie, who just ran under the bed when these toys were first introduced. Eddie doesn't hide so much any more from them, but he just sort of tolerates them.


Glenn, sleeping. He always looks like he's come in after a really rough night at the bar. He's also the longest cat I've ever seen. He has long legs and whiskers. I'm devoting the letter "G" to him and will have a lot more to say later. Just revel in the length of this animal!

Allie, or KittenMcGrabbyPaws is probably the funniest with her balls and tiny painting spool. She has these little wool balls, and she will fling them around, or bring them to me and have me throw them for her. It's so funny when she brings it back. I don't know if it's possible, but she always carries the ball on the right side of her mouth, so if that's a thing with cats – left-mouthed, or right-mouthed – it's the first time I've ever observed it. My old Russian Blue, Trotsky would play fetch, but as I recall he was ambidextrous, when it came to carrying shit around in his mouth; tin foil, wool balls, whatever we were playing.

The other thing with Allie, or any of the kittens and Misty is when they play with the spool, they make one HELL of a racket! It sounds like they're playing hockey; the wool in the spool gets caught in their claws, and they fling the spool around. It hits the wall, cabinets, and floor and it sounds just like a hockey game. All we lack is a fight.


My doofy husband, whom I adore completely, took this Alexa picture of Allie when we were out to dinner one night. "I wonder what the kids are doing?", he asked. Apparently, they were re-enacting "The Lion King".

The dog and the cats all get along; Ripley has discovered that he cannot go leaping about on the furniture, and he can't play “The Floor Is Lava”, but he's good for a cuddle! Letter “E” coming up; no more calls to the IRS or the SSA. It is what it is.

One last thing, I'm going to be posting a special post for a self-published author, a friend of mine, Andy Toppin, Jr., whose book “Rowan's Chronicle, Volume 1” is on Amazon. He's really a good friend and a special person. I love this book, and hope you all will enjoy reading about him! I'm enjoying this #a-to-z-challenge. I hope you all are too!

6 comments:

Alex McGrabbyhands said...

“couldn't figure out how to un-puff himself” 🤣🤣🤣

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Your dog yodels? You need to tape it and post it!

ViolaFury said...

@Alex McGrabbyhands

Thanks so very much for reading! He really couldn't! He also couldn't figure out how to not walk backward, so we were treated to this kitten doing a reverse walk, as he tried to figure out how he was going to un-puff himself, while doing that little kitten dance they all do. I was in tears. If I'd had more brain cells operating, I would have taped that comedy gold. God loves it when you laugh at helpless animals. He got it figured out, but he would have a bit of a crisis for a while; he was so brand-new when we got him. Barely two months and if he found himself in a room alone, he would start crying. I believe his mamma died or he was separated early on. I've raised kittens from newborns before and they do have anxiety when they're alone. Anyway, Eddifer is a good boy and a handsome cat now; still funny. He's the kitchen supervisor. I'll have more on him, too. Thanks again for reading! <3

ViolaFury said...

@alex cavanaugh

Thanks for reading, Alex! Ripley does yodel, howl, sing, bay, and just makes the craziest sounds ever. I'll see if I can catch him when he's in "voice" and put an audio up on youtube or link it here. It's hilarious. He saw a rabbit one day, last spring, and of course, it ran off, but he's still seeing that rabbit and it's his imaginary friend now. He talks to it all the time. Ripley is funny like that, but we found out ALL huskys do that. Yay. We wanted a guard dog, not a lounge singer. Regardless, he's a good dog and he's patient with the kittens; when they were really young, they'd chew on his ears and tail and he never snapped or growled at them. He gets along with our elder cat, Misty too, so that's nice. Thanks again for reading! I'm glad you enjoy my menagerie! <3

Kathe W. said...

oh hahah Ijust loved this post! Talking about our 4 legged family members always cracks me up-they are such precious members of our families! Cheers! Take care and I'll see ya tomorrow!

Unknown said...

Lol @ un-puff himself!
Thank you so much Viola! Appreciate you very much!