Tuesday, April 2, 2013

BLOGGING FROM A TO Z APRIL 2013 - LETTER B


BEETHOVEN

He was born in Bonn, Germany, in 1770. There is some dispute as his birth was registered on the 16th or 17th of December. Some histories list his date of birth as early as the 15th. As that is my birthday, I prefer to think that is his as well. He started playing piano early in life; again, that is disputed as well. Ludwig's father, a stern and unloving man wanted his only son to be another Mozart (thank God that was NOT the case, one Mozart is one too many, in my not at all humble opinion,) and so, he may have been 4 years old, or 6 years old.


I don't remember when I first heard him. Probably at 6 months, according to my father. Ludwig and Glenn Miller.

Beethoven was a gifted pianist and violist, although not the most disciplined when it came to practice. He was a much more gifted composer and pushed the envelope when it came to experimenting and developing thematic material and working with extreme and sudden changes in dynamic contrasts. Rather than follow traditional rules that had always been followed assiduously for close to two centuries, beginning with Scarlatti and culminating in Mozart. The Art of the Fugue had been explored by Bach; Haydn had written brilliantly, establishing symphonic form that would remain into the 20th century. Paganini not only raised the bar on virtuosi playing on all non-fretted string instruments, he introduced us to the “Tema and Variations;” a main theme and variations on that theme. This template has been repeated into the 20th century as well, with Rachmaninoff and Edward Elgar.

Beethoven changed the musical world profoundly. He not only did away with the “terraced” method of dynamics; pianissimo. piano, mezzo-piano, mezzo-forte, forte, fortissimo. He juxtaposed pianissimo-fortissimo to great effect in his symphonic works and also experimented with melodies that were less predictable. His greatest works besides his symphonies are his string quartets.

Still, his greatest achievement is his 3rd Symphony, the “Eroica” in E♭Major. In one symphony, we bridge the Classical era in music and go directly to the Romantic era. On listening to, and/or playing this, you can pinpoint it to the 3rd movement. The symphony was originally to be dedicated to Napoleon Bonaparte, during the “Heroic” period of the early 1800s, but then, the Napster took a stroll with his armies through Europe and Ludwig got pissed. The 3rd movement starts out at a funereal pace and is, indeed dirge-like. But then, Ludwig, being Ludwig, lets his inner rage loose about 2/3 of the way through and cuts loose and he's royally pissed.

In roughly 1/3 of a movement, we go from a huge fortissimo, turmoil and sturm-und-drang in the lower strings and brass, to a syncopated, almost jazzy pianissimo in the first violins and woodwinds, and then back to the dirge, a sort-of dismissal, at least to my ear, finishes the movement as it started, in C minor, after the E♭Major diversion. A sort of rim-shot to the “Emperor” I always thought, as in the days of the Romans, when they held their Triumphal marches. Beethoven was fairly literate and he didn't care for the fact that his Hero did, after all have feet of clay. 


This is me, pouting. I like my Heroes to have Hero Feet

The 4th movement of the "Eroica" (or "Erotica" as one gleeful colleague pointed out to me in a horribly botched program one evening; "Marc Wallac" on Viola!) is a riotous movement, E♭Major all the way; a true challenge for the violas. The symphonic literature has at last begun to explore the full-bodied sound and for the next 150 years, we will see astonishing growth and wonderful prowess, from this greatest of instruments, a 104-piece modern symphonic orchestra.

The Romantic era was about really pushing the envelope of symphonic music. Finally, the damn violas got something to do besides play whole notes. This being not a music appreciation class, but being a moment in time and having spent a lifetime, seriously, a whole lifetime, in music, that is the time when music changed. Everything written after that was profoundly different. Composers understood that although rules were there and there was a reason to build off solid foundations established centuries earlier and built carefully upon over time, it was really time to move forward. From Beethoven's 3rd to his 9th Symphony, there is only a span of 19 years. The 3rd was premiered in 1805, the 9th finished in 1824, and premiered to rave reviews. Of course, by this time, Ludwig was stone deaf and could not hear a note that was played by the orchestra, or sung by the chorus and soloists. Being a musician, however, I can speak from experience; he heard every thing that was in the score.



6 comments:

Arlee Bird said...

This a post dear to my heart as Beethoven is one of my musical heroes. Have you seen the BBC film "Eroica"? It's a real favorite of mine. The film portrays the first performance of the 3rd Symphony by the orchestra similar to what it would have been. Very little dialogue and mostly just looks and great music. I think you might appreciate this if you haven't seen it already.

Lee
Wrote By Rote
An A to Z Co-host blog

ViolaFury said...

Arlee, thank you so much! In case you couldn't tell, Beethoven has been a part of my life for my entire life. I didn't know he played viola until I had played for a few years. I started on violin and switched to viola and then majored in viola in college and played professionally for many years. I own a Florenus that was built only 10 years after Beethoven's death, in 1837 and it is a superb viola. I will definitely have to check out that movie. I love the "Eroica" symphony and have also played through, though not performed in public, all of his string quartets. The later ones tend to be odd, due to the fact that in his latter years he did become quite experimental. The last 3 quartets, the "St. Petersburg" ones tend to have weird things like 7 movements, with fugues that go on and on. This tended to baffle audiences and they speak more to the growing isolation he may have been feeling close to the time of his death. Always a favorite of mine, ever on the same wavelength, and I have understood him always. My parents were big music lovers, even if they didn't always understand what on earth I was channeling!

A quick note on the concept of listening to music performed on original instruments, like the Hannaford Band. I will definitely watch this movie upon your recommendation. Since you're a fan, I'm sure you've heard the debate that rages and has for many years regarding modern vs. old-style (I am not up on terminology for Beethoven's contemporary technology) tuning. I know that here in Tampa, there are people who play Renaissance viols and fretted instruments with curved bows and no vibrato and this is all well and good. I think I may have taken Renaissance Music for 15 minutes once and I skippered out of it as fast as possible. I have what is called "perfect pitch," which is annoying. It's elephant memory, is all.

Anyway, I will watch "Eroica" as this is something I haven't done in many a year. Tastes change. I've played every type of music there is, including hip-hop with Donna Summer, so I would say my horizons have grown somewhat. Thanks again. This is marvelous and you're a gem!

Unknown said...

Beethoven is one of my heroes, too. I don't understand music much, but I always find him uplifting.

Try replacing Captcha with Comment Moderation to receive more comments while keeping your blog secure.

Damyanti @Daily(w)rite
Co-host, A to Z Challenge 2013

Twitter: @AprilA2Z
#atozchallenge

Unknown said...

What a brilliant composer, and what a talent to be blessed with. I love music, but my only musical talent lies in my ears. I love to listen to music. Great post. A to Zing it tonight. Have a great week.

Anonymous said...

I was a concert and competition pianist when I was a kid and a teen. I played a whole lotta Beethoven. Some of his works were the hardest pieces I ever played. As you said here, his orchestration and composition far exceeded his playing ability. What a great and unusual choice for B! Glad to see something out of the ordinary for this letter!

Love and stuff,
Michy

Harvest Moon by Hand said...

Enjoyed reading your post today about Beethoven. My daughters and I learned about Chopin for the "C" in the A to Z Challenge. There's something fascinating about learning about the composer as one listens to the music that s/he composed.