Wednesday, December 5, 2018

#IWSG – DECEMBER 2018 CHECK-IN – REVVING UP THE ENGINES



After being dormant for so long, it seems there is a plethora of things and themes and subjects to write about. I want to pursue fiction, but am not sure I'm all that creative. When I was in high school, I was trying to write a piece of music and the best I could come up with was “meh”. One of our Composition teachers had an ABSOLUTELY FOOLPROOF METHOD for writing the perfect melody and we hastily got to work.

We sat side-by-side on the piano bench and blocked out some chords and then carefully picked out the notes, according to Mr. Hathaway's method. I put them all together and then added some rhythm and syncopation in the melody. It looked beautiful on paper. It rose and fell and died away and came to a beautiful conclusion. I eagerly played in on the piano and looked at Mr. Hathaway. We both looked at one another for a minute. Then, we busted up. “That's horrible!”, he said. I agreed. I'm no composer, although I can INTERPRET music beautifully and make it my own, so, using that as my guideline, I am not sure that I can create fiction.

I'm a hell of rhetorical writer and great with historical events and dissecting things and analysis, but I'm not sure that I can cobble things up out of whole cloth. I've dipped my toes into some flash fiction which is fun and I think I need to continue in that vein and then go from there.

Anyway, I see that my shambolic life has leaked into my blog. What was to have been a post just about where I had been and what I was not doing all of this time and ending with my crap-tastic fall that garnered me a broken left hip, has somehow confused the #IWSG gang. (See previous post.) THIS is the #IWSG post, ha. Oh well. I do things like this all the time. I had entered “#IWSG” in the title and of course, Blogger helpfully remembered it for me. Gah. Anyway, happy IWSG'ing everyone! I do hope you're all looking forward to the Holiday season. I certainly am!

No comments: