Friday, July 27, 2012

ROW80 DAY 18 - MANY MOODS OF MARY


I was planning on waxing ecstatic about my new group of victims, er,  friends, that I have joined. Triberr! Yes, I am in a very prestigious tribe, with Head Chief of none other than Andi-roo herself, along with my swell Bonfire mates, Amberr Meadows, DadBlunders, Lottie Nevin and last, but definitely not least, the estimable, Jesse Libecap or "Hubz". In honor of this fine occasion, I hereby  dub Andi-roo "Grand Duchess of Dialog." Well, at least until I think up something less hokey. Anyway, after I admired my new Tribe and read all the cute little comments, I checked in on my own blog. Actually, I read my email.

Disaster! Well, kind of. Or, actually some of my Mary Confuse-a-(fill in the blank) struck a hapless reader. A very kind lady and a fine writer was confused by my timeline or description, or perhaps my life, and for that I apoligize, Michelle G. I kind of picked on all of my readers a few posts ago, indicating that I don't get much feedback from you, so I'm not sure what you all are reading or not reading. If this were in the daily paper, I could inveigh heavily on how this was mighty fine toilet paper, or bird-cage liner, but the culture has changed; we all know that. In my post-analytical, pray to the God of logic and sense, I am at last comfortable with the fact that I sow confusion at least as much as I am confused and am unbothered by it. Some people are bothered by it though and still appreciate some rational behavior. However, most of my readers are familiar with my rather free-wheeling approach after everything went to hell. I have a decent rein on my circumstances; my bills are paid, I have a roof over my head and I'm pretty healthy. Just about all my readers know why I blog now and why I'm no longer in the concert halls or working for IBM or Verizon anymore. Let me recap, quickly.

I became homeless after a lengthy hospitalization. I'm not anymore, but live across the street and over one block. I see lots of the same people. I'm glad that I am here. I can write about these folks and maybe be of some help to them.

This is one of those days when I just can't scrape up the enthusiasm, to be cheerful, insightful and breathtakingly witty. I know it's temporary, but everything seems so bleak. I hate being blind, it fucking sucks. I run into walls, doors. I jump because something the size of a mouse seems the size a car and cars are the size of mice; it's always DefCon5 in my head. I hate having to plan my goddamned day around the St. Vitus' Dance thing. I wonder how long it will be before I have to get rid of things I can't button. How long will it be before someone has to feed me? I haven't been able to drive for several years. I have trouble cooking now and pretty much don't now. I blame it on the heat. This is the down side to the bipolar thing. I'll take the up thing. I'd rather stay up for a month and forget August. I can wake up in September in the hospital again and call it a month.

Jesus, I'm sorry. I have no one to talk to, really. I love JC beyond measure, but we are worlds apart in so many things. He has no concept what I've been through and where I'm going. The only reason I pour this out to you, is because I have been caught at a low point in this instant. And why? Who knows? I don’t feel ill, I don't believe there are any celectial bodies in some kind Szyzygy thing, I took my meds. It's just that every so often... I don't feel right. I don't think we're meant to walk around in some kind of happy haze and I'm not that type anyway. I usually walk around in a froth of righteous anger, ready to punch out the lights of any Simon Legree who dares to cross paths with me. I will hurt you in a heart beat if you take on the weak, defenseless, young, halt, lame and I have.

Well, that must have been just a melancholy instant. I feel better now. Ready to see what is going on out in the world. Ready to figure out this Triberr thing. I think I'm going to be the Critic/Cheerleader of the outfit. I can't write fiction. It's like when I was in music school. We had to actually compose music. I can play music, just don't ever, ever ask me to write the stuff. If something diabolical happened and every piece of sheet music ever written disappeared and everyone who ever remembered a piece of music or played by ear forgot how to do that, it would be unanimous. "Mary is not allowed to put pen to paper."

When I was in Music Composition II in college and struggling, my professor said, "here's a fool-proof method," whereupon he had me map out a bunch of triads, tonic, subdominant, dominant, tonic, something simple. Then he had me circle one of the notes in each triad and draw a line from each note, a musical sort of connect-the-dots, "fool-proof," if you will. I did as he instructed. He played what I had written. He sat there, at the piano for a minute. He said, "God, that's horrible." So, Mary doesn't write music. And Mary will not be writing fiction.


6 comments:

Aaron Brinker said...

Mary,

I know the downward/upward spirals all to well. Things I won't discuss on my blog at this point and some things I have discussed for anyone that looked into my TMI Tuesday I post every so often. The "not feeling" right no matter what we do has been a way of life for me that I have struggled with a lot. It is never fun but always keeps things interesting for me.

One of the constants in my life is I have always kept a journal. I have used it to write my emotions, feeling, regrets etc. etc. I know it never takes away the feelings but it most definitly is an outlet for them. I didn't start blogging until this year on tumblr (I still have that blog too) It was on there people decided to take notice of what I had to say and several gave me the suggestion of trying my own blog where I controlled everything.

There are times since I have been doing both that I feel like no one hears me and other times I feel like everyone does. I never give up though.

I started the original blog as a gift to my son and I always try to keep that in mind. Someday he might want to go back and see what I did and who I was.

I still feel like I have something worth saying so I try to remember the philosophy I adopted. Its my tag line and the reason I choose dadblunders as my name...."All of us have made some real blunders in life....it's what we do with them that counts."

Aaron

ViolaFury said...

Aaron,

I so appreciate you taking the time to write a reply like this. I know how busy you are raising Xan. The fact that you would take time to write to someone you know so little says volumes to me. I am new to this blogging community. You may have gathered that and you may also have gathered that this is not how my life was several years ago. No matter. I am extremely grateful for being here and now and I have been greatly blessed with this. The ability to write and the even greater fortune to have met Andi-Roo and through her, this community. I feel small and mean when I feel low. The reasons for this are because I brought myself to this juncture and I am lucky to be here, Aaron. I have no reason to feel bad. But being human, I do. So, there it is. I really appreciate this chance and everything everyone has offered to me and I intend to use these fine gifts to their fullest. Writing, blogging, I don't know what yet. But thank you. I love your name. I am sure I will have many blunders. My catch phrase is Mary Confuse-a-(fill in the blank) I excel at that!

Aaron Brinker said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aaron Brinker said...

Mary,

There are times my son has the energy of ten men and ten women all combined together hyped up on Adderol and RockStar (energy drinks.) So in answering your comment , he can be a handful for a 42 year-old dad.

Feeling low is so easy to do. I should know, I have been there so many times and always brought it on myself. I am lucky to be where I am now. Things could have turned out so differently for me but in all honesty I got lucky and I am here instead.

So I do understand, probably better than most. I have just made a decision to try and do things differently now. Like you said about being human though...I do at times also...The problem with being human is that its a fatal disease. The difference with this disease (life...I am being ironic here) is you learn to embrace it and love, laugh, learn and listen. The letter of L of life.

Aaron :)

ViolaFury said...

Ha ha, Aaron, I love the way you describe the energy of your boy. Boys are practically pure energy. As to feeling low, it must come with the Human Condition Deluxe package. Sorry, not being flippant at all. It just seems that we are all heir to this. At least anyone who has examined their life. We're human.

Everyone seems to skip over that part on the journey of self-discovery, myself included. I learned I drank too much, married selfish men, smoked too much, did stupid job choices, but got over it. Why do I still feel like crap, now that I'm no longer drinking, married to idiots, smoking and disabled and no longer homeless? HELLO!!!! Oh. Yeah. I'm human. Tough luck lady. That alien thing'll have to wait.

Not being flippant; it's how I make sense of it all. We're all okay, Aaron. You're a splendid man and you have splendid son. Andi-roo and so many others love you to pieces. You are loved, you are creative, you have joyful people around you. How splendid. We have wonderful lives!

ViolaFury said...

I ended that abruptly; I mean that sincerely. We do. I know you do. The joy and exuberance; the life (that L word) abounds from your posts. Aaron, you are so fortunate. As am I! Have a great day. Mary :)