Tuesday, April 22, 2014

#A-TO-Z CHALLENGE – LETTER “Q” – QUIP


QUIP

In the interests in time and trying to catch up, and get to the good stuff (Letter “T”), the next three entries, are definitions loosely related to humor, or humour, as our friends across the pond spell the word. I actually prefer 'humour', as I do 'armour', but that's from too many years of playing Runescape, where 'armour' takes on a whole new meaning. Steel? We're way beyond that and into the subtleties armour that is used for meleers, rangers and wizards and is matched with a player's abilities. But, I am digressing as well as pretty much cheating; it's been a hellacious month. 


One of my clan mates asked me if there were any other monsters besides Green Dragons that dropped Green Dragon Hides. "Yeah," I replied. "Ogres". I'm co-Leader of a 9-year old clan with members that regularly ask questions like this, and I'm happy to provide answers similar to the one I provided; I'm here to help! 

Quip. Noun \'kwip\ : a clever remark. Something I do very little of, unless it's in reaction to someone else's witty remark, in which case, it is then not a quit, but a rejoinder, or retort.

1 a: a clever usually taunting remark” GIBE

b: a witty or funny observation or response usually made on the spur of the moment.

2: QUIBBLE, EQUIVOCATION

3: something strange, droll, curious, or eccentric : ODDITY

The first known use: 1579.

Examples of: *eyeroll at a certain cellist's bragging about her abilities* My other cellist friend, who is internationally well-known quipped to me, “Yup, she's a legend in her own mind.”


Tampa Bay Symphony
 
After the concertmaster's (in Detroit, whom we ALL hated) interpretation of how NOT to play a certain passage, demonstrated screechily and horribly and with ease, I said, sotto voce, “Gee, Eddie does it so well.” My friend, a cellist, sitting next to me, riposted “He's guilty of premature articulation, too.” But that's a subject for another post. Her remark was funnier.

4 comments:

Jocelyn Rish said...

I've always loved the word quip - although I'm not very good at them in real life. But the MC in my WIP is a master of them - in fact she's probably a little annoying with them. :-)

Hope you’re having fun with the A to Z challenge,
Jocelyn

Andrea said...

HOMESTRETCH!!!!!!!!! (she quipped?)

ViolaFury said...

@Jocelyn!

I'm pretty terrible unless someone leaves me a really good opening. My tendency is to get a bit 'jokey' in business meetings, which is one of the reasons, I no longer work in the Corporate World. Thanks so much for stopping by! Mary xoxo

ViolaFury said...

@Andrea!

Yesssss!!!! And while you all seem to handle themes with such ease, this has been a seemingly endless obstacle course, through no fault of anyone having anything to do with A-to-Z! My other half had a 'stealth' heart attack and it's been one thing and another dealing with insurance companies and getting authorizations for his medicines. But, yeah, homestretchhhhhhhhh. Thanks for stopping by! Mary xoxo