Thursday, April 10, 2014

#A-TO-Z CHALLENGE - LETTER "I" - EDDIE IZZARD

EDDIE IZZARD

Edward John “Eddie” Izzard. Born 7 February 1962, is an English stand-up comedian, actor and writer.

Izzard is another of those comedians that I knew I would be writing about, when I decided on my HUMOR AND HUMORISTS theme. He first came to my attention during the run of his 1999 HBO special, Dress to Kill, which I tuned into about 5 minutes into the start of his monologue, only to be faced with this:


 . . . and I thought, "hmm, a transvestite (he likes women, as do most transvestites) stand-up comic. Here's something you don't see every day!" and proceeded to laugh my butt off through his entire show. His comedic style is sharp, but he has a tendency to jump the track with "um, yeah" and veer off into other topics, but it's a hell of a ride! In Dress to Kill, we get to hear Izzard's version of how the singer Engelbert Humperdinck got his name; how the native aboriginal people were conned by the Druids, or whoever built the thing, into moving the Stones of Stonehenge 200 or 2000 miles, and his famous take on the Anglican church, "Give me cake or give me death" which is basically my view of the Anglican and Episcopal church. Catholics are pretty tough; we did manage to come up with the Spanish Inquisition and an ex-communication rite is pretty hair-raising; Catholicism is not for sissies. Of course, I should have kept that to myself; once my mother in some sort of ecumenical fit had an Episcopal Priest over for Sunday Dinner after Mass, and I made some comment about "Catholic Lite; all the ritual, only half the guilt." She didn't think it was funny, but my father thought it was hilarious. But, I digress. He often referred to himself as an "Executive Transvestite" in Dress to Kill.


How Jerry Dorsey became Englebert Humperdinck

He patterned his comedic style after much of the Monty Python's Flying Circus troupe's style and has been acknowledged as the "lost" member of the troupe by John Cleese. He was also heavily influenced by Spike Milligan Rather than just list his c. v., which you can easily read for yourself and I urge you to do so, and watch some of his shows, I did run across something of great interest. After his triumphant tour in 1999, with Dress to Kill in the U. S., he was on the last leg of his tour in Great Britain, when several complaints were launched with the BBC consumer program Watchdog that he was using recycled material of his jokes. Upon investigation, and copious explanation by Izzard, it was explained that the material he had used in the show in the U. S. had been released on DVD in Great Britain prior to Izzard's final leg of his U. K. tour. 


Izzard, understandably upset, has rarely allowed his stand-up act to be televised, as it takes so much time to re-write and work new material into a show. He has acted in several movies and in television, both in the U. S. and the U. K. He maintains, he is from "Europe, where the history is." He participates regularly in sports events and runs for charity and his latest endeavor that he is deadly serious about is his attempt to persuade Scotland to remain part of Great Britain. A few posts back I mentioned my father, who, like every other Wallace, and many, many Scots wish to declare themselves independent from Great Britain, much the same way northern Ireland has. Izzard is earnestly trying to retain Scotland by launching a campaign of "charm" including admitting that the name "Edward" is not one that Scots are likely to respond warmly to, as it was King Edward II who, ultimately, captured my ancestor, William Wallace and put him to death, most viciously and put the country under shackles. Although that was in 1305, as my late father would say, the "son of a bitch is sittin' in the next room! We hae to avenge him!" Like the bastard died last week. It may be time to lay William to rest; with charm like Eddie's, who can say? I never was an anglophile, but I could make a wee exception. . . Mayhap.


BOOK RELEASE ANNOUNCEMENT AND RAFFLE-COPTER!!!



Title: Golden Dawn
Author: Aldrea Alien
Genre: Paranormal


Release date: April 18th, 2014

From now until April 18th, I will be show-casing Aldrea Alien's newest release, Golden Dawn. This will include an raffle-copter (be sure and enter!) and well. . . I'll let her take it from here!

 Family and blood.

After 1100 years, these simple words mean everything to Herald. His life has been ruled by keeping his siblings safe, keeping them from becoming prey whilst feeding on the weaker. His failures have been many and measured by those he has lost. People like his twin brother.

There has always been an enemy to push back or defeat.

Just who the enemy is comes into question when Herald meets the dangerous, angelic creature he is to guard. Wondering where his true loyalties lie is a dangerous thought. No matter whether he chooses family over the heart, it will mean death.

Only the right choice will ensure the life taken is not his.

Buy Links:


Andrea Alien

Author Bio:
Born and raised in New Zealand, Aldrea Alien lives on a small farm with her family, including a menagerie of animals. Since discovering a love of writing at the age of twelve, she hasn't found an ounce of peace from the characters plaguing her mind.


16 comments:

Andrea said...

YES!!!! Eddie Izzard!!!

Judy S. Lentz said...

Love this!

Unknown said...

ROFL! Eddie is hilarious! I need to set aside a couple hours to catch up and really appreciate the priceless humor of your posts!

WriterlySam
Echoes of Olympus
A to Z #TeamDamyanti

Anabel Marsh said...

I find Eddie Izzard's comedy surreal and endearing. We saw him live once - he wore a basque and boots with a black coat which swung beautifully from the waist and was lined with flame coloured silk. A gorgeous vision! However, I am disappointed in his interference in the Scottish referendum - I can't imagine why celebrities think their opinion should sway anyone.

Anabel at Anabel's Travel Blog

ViolaFury said...

@Andrea!

I am so glad you like! I spent most of the day mooning over your blog with your oldies, but so many goodies! I'm glad I could post something that resonates with you. He is truly hilarious! Engelbert Humperdinck is one of the funniest things still going! Mary xoxo

ViolaFury said...

@Judy!

Sometimes I think after all the years I've played and traveled I'm jaded and then I listen to an hour of this and I'm on the floor! I still am easily amused, but he is sooo funny! The "cake or death" thing, really resonated with me, but you can pick just about any part of his "Dress to Kill" and listen for 2 minutes and almost get a hernia! Mary xoxo

Sue Elvis said...

Mary,

I had never heard of Edward Izzard but that didn't matter. Your post was hugely entertaining. I am giggling over your Catholic references. "Catholic Lite; all the ritual, only half the guilt." That's perfect. btw, I'm a Catholic. I vowed I'd never be one but I often end up doing the unexpected. I thought my parents were going to disown me. They decided to just ignore my conversion. Anyway, your words are very funny!

I do find Monty Python funny. They were part of my teenage years. I guess I'm getting old. And Scotland wanting to leave GB... I only heard about that the other day. (I am not very well informed.) I lived in Scotland for a couple of years as a child. Actually I am planning to include that story in today's K post (K for Kilts) if ever get around to writing it.

So much I could say but I'd better stop and go write my post. As you can see I like chatting in the com-box!

ViolaFury said...

@Sam!

LULZ! He really is something and once he was a guest star on the old "Whose Line Is It Anyway?" and I thought we were going to have to call 911, I laughed so hard!

I am so pleased you stopped by to visit. If you want true hilarity, go to the beginning of my blog and work through the first 2 rounds of Row 80. They comprise my homeless days and my early life and my careers as a musician and as a computer engineer.

Like anyone, I've had a mixture of good luck and bad and that it is how we perceive it and react that matters. Some bad stuff happened, but lots of good stuff. Eventually, if I get off my lazy duff (another Scottish word) I will have a nice little e-book to help finance my hot-mess of a NaNoWriMo novel. You are the bomb, Sam and rock the house! I think you're amazing and I am so glad #teamDamyanti brought us together! Mary <3

ViolaFury said...

@Anabel!

I would love to see him live and I understand that he also will engage his audiences in his banter, which would be fun.

I have to admit that when I first read about his interference in the Scottish referendum, I was put out. Were my father alive, he would be furious. He once was detained in Heathrow Airport for over 2 days in 1985 because of some comments he made and because of his last name and dual nationality, so there is still an issue there and I cannot find fault with him or my own family. We were subjugated, no matter how far in the past.

But, in his defense, Eddie's "offensive charm" is meant well, and he IS speaking as a private citizen and NOT on behalf of the British government. I did note that other Northern Irish and Welsh performers would be doing the same. I doubt that it will make much difference; a year or so ago, I almost packed my bags and went to live in Scotland, as I am that fed up with the USA.

Not having the benefit of dual citizenship, I am not able to vote in the referendum, thus what I feel makes no difference. However, in spite of my kind words, as a Wallace, I would vote to separate from Great Britain, as a matter of course. Scotland was freed by William Wallace, died for it, and should be free, with all the inherent perils that come with that freedom. I am so glad that you came to visit today, Anabel. Often, I keep a lighter tone in my posts than what I write in my comments. But I agree with you. Thank you. Mary xoxo

ViolaFury said...

@Sue!

Hi, I just had to answer your comment about Eddie! I am still trying to get to Twitter for the deathless FF# (it's Saturday for you!) which I love doing.

Being Catholic in the USA is like belonging to the world's largest "cootie club" as I heard it put once. We all suffered through the Sister Mary Elephants and the deaf priests who shouted the mass in Latin until 1968, when Vatican II decreed that from hence forward, John Denver would be song-leader and we were going to all have to learn the responses in English!

So much for Awe and Mystery for me! I want incense, tingle-tangle orientalism-type music in fourths that sounds vaguely sinister.

Actually, my father was a lapsed Catholic and I apparently asked a question about God when I was young, and off we went. After my confirmation, catechism and first communion, and other than school, my father seldom went. But my mother did and used to invite all sorts of religious leaders of other faiths over, for supper, that usually led to tears and regret later, generally because I couldn't keep my yap shut.

Later on, I think my mom decided she was agnostic and then I heard her tell someone she was an anarchist, but she was mad at Nixon at the time.

Monty Python ages both of us, I guess. I was enjoying your "Mothers, Sisters, Daughters" blog today, and I was thinking that you with your girls are probably a generation younger than I. I am 58. That is a charming blog, Sue! Thanks again for visiting. It's been fun! Mary xoxo

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Mary - thanks for kicking me over to 500 followers! I wrote a lot about Eddie Izzard's Neanderthal roots and DNA tracing back to Africa .. long long posts with a lot of history ..

I enjoy hearing him talk .. but haven't ever watched his shows .. cheers Hilary

mryjhnsn said...

I adore him!

Sue Elvis said...

Mary,

Just a quick note! The girls were delighted you visited and followed our mother, daughters, sisters blog. Thank you! I have 5 daughters and we all like to write so that blog is our meeting place.
A generation younger than you? No! I am 53 in 2 weeks' time. Yes, I have a 10 year old daughter who keeps me young but I also have a 27 year old daughter!!

Just about to have a huge dinner cooked by my husband so will pop back later to read your latest posts. Good to chat!

ViolaFury said...

@Hillary!

I am so glad that I was your 500th follower! I saw that!

I MUST read your posts about his Neanderthal roots and his trek to finding his roots in Africa. I know he was born in Yemen, as he mentions it in "Dress to Kill." Thanks so much for letting me know! Mary xoxo

ViolaFury said...

@Mary!

I do too and I'm watching "Hannibal" where he was guest-starring as "Dr. Gideon" and he was marvelous as always. Of course, I think he didn't get enough screen time, but his parting words, as he ate parts of his own legs, that Dr. Lechter had baked and served him, were "My compliments to the chef. . ." So wry and dark. Thanks for stopping by! Mary, xoxo

ViolaFury said...

@Sue!

So glad that you daughters appreciated my visit! I thoroughly enjoyed the entire post and their personalities shine so brightly! I have another blog that I wrote for a while, but let become moribund due to my health. My health is much better now and I am thinking of cranking it up again. It is called "Silly Dad Names Blog" and was like a fake contest blog, but now it has added Moms.

It's really for families and everyone, so I will be re-starting that and sharing posts from there as well, with you. You and your daughters and family would be a wonderful interview for my blog, if you would care to participate! It's all in fun and we can discuss later.

I stopped it because I was ill, and I figured all things happen in due time and I wait for signs; this has been one of them, and I've had a few other ideas from some moms and other dads. Let me know if you would like to chat it up!

You're one of the most awesome families I've run across and I so enjoy the fun and verve! I hope your dinner cooked by your husband was wonderful, Sue! <3 Mary