Wednesday, April 3, 2019

#IWSG - APRIL 2019 CHECK IN


The question for this month, if you could have one wish to help you with your writing one scene/chapter is a good one. Just starting a foray into fiction writing, I think for me, it would HAVE to be a "first kiss" scene. I don't think I'm so great at writing about relationships or developing characters yet. I'm more able to write descriptive scenes or write rhetorically, since that's what I've always done and I'm most comfortable with that. So, please, Alex, send the Relationship Fairy my way to help me out with that. I know this is one short post, but I'm working on "Cats of Nebraska Avenue" and getting ready to leave the state, so I do hope you understand. I'll be writing something else when I land. I do wish everyone a GREAT #IWSG! 

5 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That was my answer as well! I can do a space battle with ease, but not a kissing scene.

Chemist Ken said...

Good luck with the landing, and the story. I also would rather avoid trying to write a kissing scene. Heck, I;m a scientist, not a romanticist!

Juneta key said...

Bon Voyage, safe travels. I hope your move goes smooth. Love scenes are hard, but the middle causes me my biggest angst. Happy IWSG!

Nick Wilford said...

I also find kissing scenes more awkward than any other. Sometimes it can be best to leave things to the reader's imagination. Safe travels!

Erin Penn said...

I call love scenes and fight scenes - choreographed scenes. You got to know all the steps, who is where, what they do next, why they do it, what is in the way. Is that an ankle or a wrist seen out of the corner of the eye?

Description of scene is easy ... description of scene in motion, that is hard.

And your characters never, never do what they should in a scene.

Now that I thoroughly frightened you. Sometimes the characters just look at each other and kiss.

I found writing a married couple who already have a relationship helps. They know the steps. Once you've written a few of them, then try a couple just getting to know each other and ready for their first kiss.